Pages - Menu

March 24, 2009

{Day 40} Childhood Favorite

Theme #48 Childhood Favorite


Was there ever a book that you read in grade school that really made a lasting impression on you, one that you can recall every scene, every action or event? The one that comes to my mind is "WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS". Boy what a tear jerker that one is especially if you had a favorite dog that went everywhere with you.

  Following is a short summery that sets the stage for story just in case you can't recall or haven't read it yet -

"Billy lives on a farm. He wants two good coonhounds very badly, but his Papa cannot afford any. Billy works hard, selling fruit and bait to fishermen, so eventually he has enough money for the dogs. He gives the money to his grandfather, who orders the dogs for him. Billy sneaks off in the middle of the night to go to town and pick them up. While in town, other children pick on him, but he stands up for himself and is helped by the marshal. On his way home, he and his two pups sleep in a cave. Outside, they hear a mountain lion, and the pups bravely howl back. He decides to name them Old Dan and Little Ann. He can see that Old Dan is very brave, and that Little Ann is very smart."  Where The Red Fern Grows

In memory of this childhood favorite, my town library erected a stature that depicts Bill, Little and and Old Dan. I should probably go get me a new copy and one for my grandchildren as well.

7 comments:

Chesney said...

I loved that book so much as a kid, that I just got through re reading it a few months back! Wonderful for the theme!

Anonymous said...

I'm not familiar with the story but it sounds wonderful and the tribute of the statue is a super way to capture this theme. Good job!

Anonymous said...

I'm not familiar with the story but it sounds wonderful and the tribute of the statue is a super way to capture this theme. Good job!

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

Have read heaps but not that one, thanks for the review, although don't need tears that much.

Anonymous said...

That was a big favorite of mine. And a heartbreaker! I might have to find a copy to re-read. Thanks for reminding me!

Anonymous said...

I loved the book too and haven't thought of it it years, thanks and nice shot!

mljrbg said...

I never read this book. I'll have to go to the library and check it out. Great shot.