Pages - Menu

January 26, 2011

Metering Modes

Have you ever taken a photo and your subject came out on the dark side, underexposed,?  Your meter mode that you choose even read that you were all set for a perfectly esposed shot, what's up with that?
The reason could be that you weren't using the proper metering mode.

Here is a great article on the differences of your cameras 3 meter modes

Introduction to Metering Modes - DPS
Metering Modes Explained - DPS




I have to admit that I am a CW (center weighted) Metering Mode Person.  I figure that most of the time what I am going to be shooting will be in the CENTER (or close by) of the viewfinder.  I have on occasion used Matrix and I very rarely if ever use spot.

There really isn't a right or wrong way to meter, it's really a personal thing and what the situations calls for.
Play around with your cameras metering system.  Become familiar with how it works and what you like best.

3 comments:

Pitterle Postings said...

Ohh, I will be checking these articles out. I am also a center weighted person, I can use any help in this area that I can get.

KarenB said...

Thanks! I usually use matrix mode - but am thinking that center-weighted might be interesting.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this! I usually use matrix metering and then use exposure compensation to adjust the amount of light coming in depending on whether the subject is lighter/darker than middle grey.