Pages - Menu

January 29, 2012

Week In Review - Idaho Falls, Idaho Area

The weather finally broke enough that I was able to get outdoors and do some much needed photo therapy.  While attending the High Desert Photography Club meeting this week, my photography juices were flowing.  My desire was to be able to capture some new architecture, find some interesting lines and work on my birding skills.
Old architecture is very hard to come across in and around my area due to the fact that I live in a large farming area.  Any piece of ground that becomes vacant is either planted on or grazed.  I am totally envious of all the photographers that have at their disposal the old rustic farm houses and out building.  Someday I hope to take a road trip and find some of my own to photograph.
I've been able to come across some really great restored images of old barns thanks to Pinterest, you can check out my architecture board (which will be continually added to) if you get a chance.  Let me know when and if you drop by.

Now for the reason that you stopped by, to view what I captured this past week.
Life on the Snake Rive is my first photo share.  This time of year the river is packed to the banks with all types of winter migrating birds.  The Canadian Geese happen to be my favorite to photography for two reasons: 1.  they aren't so leery of people and 2.  there are so many of them.  Here's my practice at capturing motion.
Coming In For A Landing
Taken with my Nikon D90 f/4.5 @ 1/1000 ISO 200
Now it's on to practicing my Black and White photo conversions.  There is just something that I find so intriguing about taking the colors from a image. This process is a challenge for me as most times my images come off all muddy and soft looking.  I will have to practice a lot more to get something that has the B&W WOW factor.
  The Big Stretch
 f4.5 @ 1/1250 ISO 200








Summers Final Harvest
Nikon D90 f/11 @ 1/50 ISO 400
Bottles On The Window
 f/11 @ 1/30 ISO 1250 
Woops note to self ALWAYS check your ISO before shooting.

LDS Temple By The River
f/9 @ 1/400 ISO 200 

See what I mean about B&W images looking a bit muddy when converted?  I am after the crisp definition between the blacks and whites, I want the focal point to really POP of the page.  This is still a technique in search and training.



Trumpeter Swans Over The Snake River
f/5.6 @ 1/1000 ISO 200


One thing that I've learned while trying to capture birds in flight is you need a very FAST shutter speed, spot metering, long lens and patience.


Line Sight Sparrow Hawk
f/8 @ 1/500 ISO 200



Country Lane
f/10 @ 1/60 ISO 200




White On White
f/8 @ 1/1000 ISO 200 +2/3 EV



And Now for my persona favorite out all this weeks photos-
Birds On A Wire
f/10 @ 1/200 ISO 2100
I was shooting with pure luck having my shutter speed so slow, good thing these guys never attempted to make a move.  I am really liking the brown on brown effect of the Dove against the fall foliage.

Well that does it for this weeks photo review.  I still have lots to learn and don't mind sharing what I've learned in the process of photo practice.  If you have a photo question, ask away and I'll go out and pratice the photo concept and come back with the answer.
Thanks for dropping by and your comments are always appreciated.
Note to self - CHECK YOU ISO before shooting!














1 comment:

Country Girl said...

I love the birds on the wire. They're all so beautiful, really. My favorite processing for B&W is Kevin Kubota's Classic Film-Effects Pack.
http://kubotaimagetools.com/actions1/list.html
There are so many actions in that pack that I just love. Your photography is so inspiring. Love your birds in flight ~