Pages - Menu

January 19, 2011

1.19.11 Prickly

What's my point?  Just to show you the before and afters.
Take note of the bright yellow sunflower that is in my header.  See it?  It's right there streaming at ya.
See if now, good.
That was part of last summers sun flowers that I had planted and growing around the edges of my veggie garden.  The package said that with proper care, food and watering they would grow to be giants.  NOT!
These only grew to be dinner plate size at best.  Must have been that they didn't get enough sun.  Sun... Sunflowers... that must mean somthing in the growing of them.
Well anyway I ventured out to see if the birds had made good on the free winter food buffet that I had for them.  Seems as though they aren't hungry this winter or they haven't found my sunflowers as the seeds are still there.
Do you remember the before photo, the one above?
Here is a after photo showing what the forces of winter does to something summer grows to be so beautiful
Looking at the sunflowers at this time of year, I see a whole new world of interest. 
I am going to have to find a new place for these tall giants this sprint so that I have what the package says I should get, GIANT MAMMOTH PRICKLY SUNFLOWERS.  They aren't really prickly but they are mammoths.

"Keep your face to the sunshine
and you cannot see the shadow.
It's what sunflowers do."
by Helen Keller

10 comments:

thello said...

a wonderful detail of the sun flower, I like them, too, marvellous, very well done processing!

Anonymous said...

Nice detail in your image. A little scary to look at in the winter.

Anonymous said...

Very nice capture. I don't think I have ever seen sunflowers in the winter like that. Also, great quote from a remarkable woman

Anonymous said...

Still has a inner beauty quality to it...I love this unique perspective and your wonderful saying to go with it!

Anonymous said...

The processing really fits the quote. My sunflowers weren't so great this year either but we have had weird weather patterns and moist when it shouldn't be and then lots of bacterial diseases...always try again next year!

Anonymous said...

A theme killer but I thought they were Yellow!

Anonymous said...

Boy, that sure looks threatening up close and detailed! Having it desaturated is very appropriate for a sunflower in the winter.

Rachel said...

Great detail in that close-up. Really nice.

KarenB said...

I love photographing flowers at all stages of their life - from tiny green shoots, to faded and decaying blooms. Nice color and detail in the wintery sunflower.

Anonymous said...

I thought it was a spent artichoke at first. I love this hulk of a sunflower.